How to create a separate local directory for each worker

cluster = SSHCluster(
    ["192.168.0.1", "192.168.0.17", "192.168.0.13", "192.168.0.15", "192.168.0.9", "192.168.0.11", "192.168.0.5","192.168.0.7", "192.168.0.19"],
    worker_options={"local_directory":worker_space_path},
    scheduler_options={"dashboard_address": ":8798"})

By default local worker directory in a distributed setup is created in the home directory, but I want to have a different location for each worker, how can I do it using python?

setting worker_options just sets one path and that also throws an error because all workers try to acquire the lock and I get OSError: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy

Or if there is a way to change the local directory after initialization?

When you specify a directory Dask creates a dask-worker-space directory in that space, then each worker makes its own directory there.

When I run the following:

dask-worker localhost:8786 --local-directory tmp/foo

and then look at the contents I see the following:

$ ls tmp/foo/dask-worker-space/
global.lock      worker-fdjkmmjb.dirlock  worker-zkqhtoet
purge.lock       worker-yad8d99n          worker-zkqhtoet.dirlock
worker-fdjkmmjb  worker-yad8d99n.dirlock

So I think that you should be ok here. Apparently this isn’t working well for you though?

If you want to change the local directory after startup you might consider using a worker plugin. See Customize initialization — Dask documentation

Yes so using the terminal the directories are initialized successfully but I wanted a way to initialize using python. I will check the custom worker plugin.

I also found this: https://docs.dask.org/en/latest/how-to/deploy-dask/python-advanced.html

But with this, when I initialize my dask worker by giving the host IP, it throws an error saying the host IP is already in use(whereas I created the worker from scratch, no other worker was running on the host)