What changed in the latest release with the default to use dask-expr?

(a) it seems like if you import dask dataframe, you now need dask-expr in your environment.
(b) I’m now getting errors and would love to see the release notes to figure out what changed – but I don’t see where there are release notes… :confused:

Basically if I set this - dask.config.set({‘dataframe.query-planning’: False}) - everything works. So there’s a behavior change in how Dask DataFrames are constructed when dask-expr is used. Where can I learn more about that?

As you mentioned, the 2024.3.0 release added dask-expr as a dependency. Installing with with pip or conda

pip install "dask[dataframe]"

or

conda install dask

the appropriate dependencies should get pulled in. Are you installing in a different way?

but I don’t see where there are release notes

Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like our docs build failed, so I’ve retriggered it and the changelog entry for 2024.3.0 is available here now Changelog — Dask documentation.

I’m now getting errors and would love to see the release notes to figure out what changed

Sorry to hear that. Please open an issue over in the Dask issue tracker Issues · dask/dask · GitHub and we’ll help figure out what the underlying issue is.

As mentioned in the changelog, the new query planning functionality can be disabled with

import dask
dask.config.set({'dataframe.query-planning': False})

which may be useful as a temporary workaround.

3 Likes

yep I have that as a work around to turn it off - thanks. I also created Docs on how to transition to using dask-expr -- given that it's now the default for dataframes in the new dask release · Issue #968 · dask/dask-expr · GitHub to ask for docs on behavior changes.

2 Likes