Unable to register a worker plugin

Hi everyone,

I was encoutenring problems with the unmanaged memory of my workers. I’ve read this article and I tried to add a client.run(gc.collect) at the end of my code. And effectively, all of the unmanaged memory disapeared.

So as it is advised in the article, I want to set up a worker plugin to collect the unmanaged memory each time my workers start to execute a task. I wrote a GarbageCollector class :

from distributed import WorkerPlugin
import gc

class GarbageCollector(WorkerPlugin):
    def __init__(self, client):
        self.client = client

def transition(self, key, start, finish, **kwargs):
        if start == 'executing':
            self.client.run(gc.collect)

And I register my plugin like this :

cluster = LocalCluster(n_workers=n_workers, threads_per_worker=threads_per_worker)
    client = Client(cluster)
    plugin = garbage_collector.GarbageCollector(client)
    client.register_worker_plugin(plugin)
    return client

I thought it was the correct way to set up my plugin but I get this error when I add the client.register_worker_plugin(plugin) line :

TypeError: cannot pickle '_asyncio.Task' object

I really don’t understand why this error occurs when I’m passing a client to my GarbageCollector class, but when I pass an other type of variable (str for example) there is no problem.

Did someone can help me please ?

Regards,

Clément

@ClementAlba Since the WorkerPlugin runs on the workers, you don’t need to reference the client. The following should work:

from distributed import WorkerPlugin, LocalCluster, Client
import gc

class GarbageCollector(WorkerPlugin):
    def __init__(self):
        pass

def transition(self, key, start, finish, **kwargs):
        if start == 'executing':
            gc.collect()

cluster = LocalCluster()
client = Client(cluster)

plugin = GarbageCollector()

client.register_worker_plugin(plugin)

A note about this approach – It will run on each worker after every task transition, and can get expensive to do if you have a lot of small tasks. If this happens, you can consider running it every few seconds instead.