Task processing switching around between workers very often

We have a use case where we use Dask with map_partitions to to various compute-intensive transformations of json-based data (~200GB per run). We do this mostly using pandas using vectorized operations where possible, and a lot of pre-processing using pandas.json_normalize.

The usual workflow is:

1. Process
  2. Repartition
  3. Store to parquet (using snappy compression)

The task graph for this looks about how I would (with my limited Dask knowledge) expect it to:

i.e. lots of computation in the beginning and data transfers afterwards during repartitioning.

There are approximately ~12,000-13,000 partitions per job, and we start around 48 t3.large instances (2 vCPU, 8GB Memory).

I have noted that whenever the compute-intensive task runs, that Tasks Processing view in the Status Dashboard shows something like the following (note that this was a run using 24 instances, but the behaviour still holds):

dask processing

The workers also seem to have quite a lot of unmanaged memory:

and it does happen that a worker dies due to the memory limit being reached.

Besides adjusting memory_limit, is the tasks being, for lack of a better technical term that I do not know - “jostled around” between workers so much indicative of a deeper, systemic problem to our approach?