Set up local cluster with custom resource assignments

Hi!
I’d like to set up a local cluster that has CPU_COUNT workers (with one thread each), where exactly one of the workers has a resource, e.g. “GPU=1”, assigned. To my understanding, if running dask-worker <scheduler> --nworkers auto --resources="GPU=1", the resource label is attached to all worker processes. Is it possible to assign it to only one worker?
Thanks a lot in advance!

@hayi Thanks for this question!

I believe you can start the one worker with special resources separately:

dask-worker <scheduler> --nthreads 1 --resources "GPU=1"

then start the rest as you’ve shown:

dask-worker <scheduler> --nworkers auto --nthreads 1

Reference documentation: Worker Resources — Dask.distributed 2022.8.1+6.gc15a10e8 documentation

Does this help?

Thanks @pavithraes for the quick reply!
This is getting closer to what I’m aiming at, but not quite there yet :slight_smile: While the first command spins up the resource worker, the second command spins up another 4 workers (in total 5 workers instead of 4).
Is there a way to tell the second command to spin up “CPU_COUNT minus 1” workers?
Thanks!

@hayi Thanks for your patience! You’re right that “auto” wouldn’t help here. Not only will it create cpu_count number of workers, but it’ll also override the nthread=1 command.

I don’t think we can directly create “CPU_COUNT minus 1” number of workers. You’ll need to find the CPU_COUNT for your machine, and maybe save it as an environment variable, and then use it.

I’ve opened an issue related to this: Better description and warnings for using `n_workers=auto` · Issue #6097 · dask/distributed · GitHub