Error when calling to_parquet() "TypeError: argument of type 'int' is not iterable"

I have a Dask dataframe with two partitions, that was created by reading and combining a number of csv files. I am able to save and reload the df to/from a parquet file except for when I add the following before calling to_parquet():

merged_df['Seq'] = merged_df.groupby('event_no_trip').cumcount()+1

When that line is included I get the stack trace below. I am guessing that this is something to do with trying to use groupby() over more than one partition, but I have no idea how to fix it. Could anyone please provide some insight here? Thanks for your help.

merged_df.to_parquet(fullFolderPath)
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_collection.py", line 3108, in to_parquet
    return to_parquet(self, path, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\io\parquet.py", line 463, in to_parquet  
    df.to_dask_dataframe(),
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_collection.py", line 1252, in to_dask_dataframe
    df = self.optimize(**optimize_kwargs) if optimize else self
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_collection.py", line 482, in optimize
    return new_collection(self.expr.optimize(fuse=fuse))
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_expr.py", line 93, in optimize
    return optimize(self, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_expr.py", line 2876, in optimize
    return optimize_until(expr, stage)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_expr.py", line 2842, in optimize_until
    expr = expr.simplify()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_core.py", line 360, in simplify
    new = expr.simplify_once(dependents=dependents, simplified={})
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_core.py", line 338, in simplify_once
    new = operand.simplify_once(
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_core.py", line 338, in simplify_once
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_core.py", line 321, in simplify_once
    out = child._simplify_up(expr, dependents)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_shuffle.py", line 109, in _simplify_up
    new_projection = [
                     ^
  File "C:\venviron\Lib\site-packages\dask_expr\_shuffle.py", line 112, in <listcomp>
    if (col in partitioning_index or col in projection)
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
TypeError: argument of type 'int' is not iterable

Hi @amp123 , welcome to Dask discourse!

Do you think you could provide a simple reproducer of your problem?

What happens when you remove the +1?

I get the same behaviour when I remove the +1. I can’t post the exact data that I am working with, but I will get a minimal reproducer together. Thanks

1 Like