Dd.from_dict giving TypeError

For context i’m working on WIP: update repo by raybellwaves · Pull Request #4 · intake-dynamodb/intake-dynamodb · GitHub

My output is data : list[dict[str, Any]] which I would like to pass straight to dask.

I’m trying dd.from_dict(data, npartitions=1) but getting

TypeError: An error occurred while calling the from_dict method registered to the pandas backend.
Original Message: 'numpy.ndarray' object is not callable

Here’s a simple example.

import dask.dataframe as dd
import pandas as pd

data = [{"a": 1}, {"a": 2}]
pd.DataFrame(data)
dd.from_dict(data, npartitions=1)

The error here that ‘list’ object has no attribute ‘values’

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/backends.py:135, in CreationDispatch.register_inplace.<locals>.decorator.<locals>.wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
    134 try:
--> 135     return func(*args, **kwargs)
    136 except Exception as e:

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/dataframe/io/io.py:351, in from_dict(data, npartitions, orient, dtype, columns, constructor)
    320 """
    321 Construct a Dask DataFrame from a Python Dictionary
   (...)
    348 >>> ddf = dd.from_dict({"num1": [1, 2, 3, 4], "num2": [7, 8, 9, 10]}, npartitions=2)
    349 """
--> 351 collection_types = {type(v) for v in data.values() if is_dask_collection(v)}
    352 if collection_types:

AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'values'

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[49], line 1
----> 1 dd.from_dict(data, npartitions=1)

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/backends.py:137, in CreationDispatch.register_inplace.<locals>.decorator.<locals>.wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
    135     return func(*args, **kwargs)
--> 137     raise type(e)(
    138         f"An error occurred while calling the {funcname(func)} "
    139         f"method registered to the {self.backend} backend.\n"
    140         f"Original Message: {e}"
    141     ) from e

AttributeError: An error occurred while calling the from_dict method registered to the pandas backend.
Original Message: 'list' object has no attribute 'values'

If I use try passing one item from the list i.e. a dictionary I get you must pass an index

dd.from_dict(data[0], npartitions=1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/backends.py:135, in CreationDispatch.register_inplace.<locals>.decorator.<locals>.wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
    134 try:
--> 135     return func(*args, **kwargs)

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/dataframe/io/io.py:359, in from_dict(data, npartitions, orient, dtype, columns, constructor)
    353     raise NotImplementedError(
    354         "from_dict doesn't currently support Dask collections as inputs. "
    355         f"Objects of type {collection_types} were given in the input dict."
    356     )
    358 return from_pandas(
--> 359     constructor.from_dict(data, orient, dtype, columns),
    360     npartitions,
    361 )

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py:1677, in DataFrame.from_dict(cls, data, orient, dtype, columns)
   1676 if orient != "tight":
-> 1677     return cls(data, index=index, columns=columns, dtype=dtype)
   1678 else:

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py:636, in DataFrame.__init__(self, data, index, columns, dtype, copy)
    634 elif isinstance(data, dict):
    635     # GH#38939 de facto copy defaults to False only in non-dict cases
--> 636     mgr = dict_to_mgr(data, index, columns, dtype=dtype, copy=copy, typ=manager)
    637 elif isinstance(data, ma.MaskedArray):

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pandas/core/internals/construction.py:502, in dict_to_mgr(data, index, columns, dtype, typ, copy)
    500     # TODO: can we get rid of the dt64tz special case above?
--> 502 return arrays_to_mgr(arrays, columns, index, dtype=dtype, typ=typ, consolidate=copy)

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pandas/core/internals/construction.py:120, in arrays_to_mgr(arrays, columns, index, dtype, verify_integrity, typ, consolidate)
    119 if index is None:
--> 120     index = _extract_index(arrays)
    121 else:

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pandas/core/internals/construction.py:664, in _extract_index(data)
    663 if not indexes and not raw_lengths:
--> 664     raise ValueError("If using all scalar values, you must pass an index")
    666 elif have_series:

ValueError: If using all scalar values, you must pass an index

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[54], line 1
----> 1 dd.from_dict(data[0], npartitions=1)

File ~/miniforge3/envs/main/lib/python3.10/site-packages/dask/backends.py:137, in CreationDispatch.register_inplace.<locals>.decorator.<locals>.wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
    135     return func(*args, **kwargs)
--> 137     raise type(e)(
    138         f"An error occurred while calling the {funcname(func)} "
    139         f"method registered to the {self.backend} backend.\n"
    140         f"Original Message: {e}"
    141     ) from e

ValueError: An error occurred while calling the from_dict method registered to the pandas backend.
Original Message: If using all scalar values, you must pass an index

Would appreciated understanding these error messages.

1. How do I pass an index to get `dd.from_dict({“a”: 1}, nparitions=1) working?
  2. Is from_dict the best method to use to read a list of dicts? I would prefer not to use delayed as I know the partition size I would like to like apply.

having a look a dask.bag now

import dask.bag as db

data = [{'a': 1}, {'a': 2}]
ddf = db.from_sequence(data).to_dataframe()

Solved thanks to Create Dask Bags — Dask documentation

1 Like

Some detail here: from_dict assumes the input is specifically a dict, not a list. The following works fine

data = {"data": [{"a": 1}, {"a": 2}]}

Tentatively, you might be interested in the dask-awkward project for processing well-defined but irregular JSON-like data with dask. This fits the case that your data doesn’t normalise well or conveniently to a dataframe/table. The functions dask_awkward.from_json or from_map (or from_delayed maybe) could be the one you want.

cool thanks for sharing about dask-awkward. I believe i’m currently getting away with running delayed on pd.json_normalize (intake-dynamodb/dynamodb.py at update-repo · raybellwaves/intake-dynamodb · GitHub) (still need to test a bit more…). The dynamodb tables i’m extracting from aren’t utilizing the noSQL model but dask.awkward would certainly fit here

We certainly intend to have a number of intake drivers coming out utilising awkward with various data providers, and it’s good to remember cases such as this.

1 Like