Performing HOG Matrices on PIMS Chunks through ImageIO

@jmdelahanty

So, while experimenting with your script on my puny laptop (8-core CPU, 16GB RAM), I discovered that the processes-scheduler and not the threaded-scheduler (the default) yielded the better performance on a single machine. The former used all the cores at 100% while the latter used them at only 33%. Consequently, the former was almost 3 times faster than the latter. It turns out, the reason for this outcome lay in the guts of Python itself, namely, the so-called Python GIL (Global Interpreter Lock) which severely limits multi-threading.

And as expected, the memory footprint during runtime depended proportionally on the chunksize (that is, the nframes parameter to dask_image.imread.imread()). So nframes should not be set too high, otherwise your computer’s RAM will be overwhelmed.

... # import statements from your script
from dask.distributed import Client

... # leading script statements

client = Client(threads_per_worker=1)

video_path = "/path/to/video.mp4"

pims.ImageIOReader.class_priority = 100

# I'm sure Cheetos could manage a larger `nframes` value here:
original_video = dask_image.imread.imread(video_path, nframes=32)

... # rest of the script with `rechunk()` and `persist()` statements removed!!

client.shutdown()

Alternatively, if you don’t want to import Client() from dask.distributed as in the code-snippet above, then simply place your .to_zarr() calls within a dask.config.set(scheduler='processes') context manager:

... # leading script statements

# I'm sure Cheetos could manage a much larger `nframes` value here:
original_video = dask_image.imread.imread(video_path, nframes=32)

... # rest of script with `rechunk()`, `persist()`, and `.to_zarr()` statements removed!!

with dask.config.set(scheduler='processes'):
	da.to_zarr(hog_images, "/path/to/hog_images/data.zarr", compressor=compressor)
	da.to_zarr(hog_descriptors, "/path/to/hog_descriptors/data.zarr", compressor=compressor)

... # etc.

And oh, when I ran the processes-scheduler, some PIMS warning messages got repeatedly spewed out reporting an AttributeError exception . Simply ignore them. They do not appear to affect the final result.

I later discovered (see this link), that those warnings occur because, unlike in the threaded-scheduler, the workers in the processes-scheduler do not share the updated value of ImageIOReader.class_priority. So pims.open() attempts to use a couple of other readers with higher priority than ImageIOReader. Luckily, however, those other readers fail for some reason (on my laptop), allowing ImageIOReader to be eventually used by pims.open() anyway. I expect similar behavior to occur on Cheetos.

I hope this helps.

1 Like